No, Australia is not considered the largest island in the world.
Important Facts & Explanation :-
- What is island ??
- Island : An island is an isolated piece of habitat that is surrounded by a dramatically different habitat, such as water. Hence, technically every Continental landmass is also island.
- Hence, technically, you can say that It is also an island !!
- However, these Continental landmasses are not classified as island and classified as Continental landmass. These landmasses are Afro-Eurasia, Americas, Antarctica and Australia.
- Hence, historically, Australia is not considered the largest island in the world. It is historically considered a Continent.
- Of the seven continents, it is the smallest, at 2,969,976 square miles. However, if considered an island, it is the largest in the world.
See Also :
- Top 10 Largest Islands in the World
- Which is the largest island in the world ?
- Which is the largest inhabited riverine island in the world ?
- The Nile River – 10 Interesting Facts