(1) stars moving towards the Earth
(2) stars moving away from Earth
(3) rapidly spinning stars
(4) high temperature stars
Correct Answer : (3) Pulsars are rapidly spinning stars.
The word “pulsar” is a contraction of pulsating star.
A pulsar is formed when a massive star collapses exhausts its supply of fuel.
It blasts out in a giant explosion known as a supernova, the most powerful and violent event in the universe.
Without the opposing force of nuclear fusion to balance it, gravity begins to pull the mass of the star inward until it implodes.
In pulsars, gravity compacts the mass of the star until it forms an object composed primarily of neutrons packed so tightly that they no longer exist as normal matter.
As the star collapses, pulsars begin to spin more rapidly in what is known as the conservation of angular momentum.
- A spinning neutron star is known as ?
- When did the Soviet Union disintegrate into 15 independent Republics ?
- The Treaty of Versailles humiliated ?
- Where did the practice of ‘Shadow Cabinet’ originate ?