The Supreme Court at Calcutta was established by the Regulating Act of 1773.
Important Facts about Supreme Court at Calcutta :
- The Regulating Act of 1773 established a supreme court at Fort William, Calcutta.
- It consisted of one Chief Justice and three other regular judges or Puisne Judges.
- Sir Elijah Imphey was the first Chief Justice of this Supreme Court and three other Judges were Chambers, Limenster and Hyde.
- The Supreme Court was the supreme judiciary over all British subjects including the provinces of Bengal, Bihar and Orissa.
- Is Australia the largest island in the world ?
- Top 10 Largest Islands in the World
- Which is the largest island in the world ?
- Which is the largest inhabited riverine island in the world ?