(1) It is not rotating about its own axis
(2) Its rotation and revolution are opposite
(3) Its periods of rotation and revolution are the same
(4) Its rotation is faster than its revolution
Correct Answer : (3) The moon is showing its same face to the earth because its periods of rotation and revolution are the same.
The moon keeps the same face pointing towards the Earth because its rate of spin is tidally locked so that it is synchronised with its rate of revolution (the time needed to complete one orbit).
The Earth’s gravity slows down the moon’s rotation, so that it rotates at the same speed as it revolves around the Earth. Because of this, the moon is showing its same face to the earth.
- The four largest planets of the Solar System in decreasing size are ?
- Japan’s Parliament is known as ?
- Which is the hottest planet in the Solar System ?
- The Milky Way Galaxy was first observed by ?